You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Online Dyno Files Service

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New to ODis so I need some advice
10-14-2020, 10:38 PM
VW-SEAT-SKODA-AUDI New to ODis so I need some advice
Hello, I need some advice on where to go. I'm looking to get the 5054 Odis for my Audi. It's a UDS protocol.
I'm a previous vagcom user so this is new to me. Things are a bit confusing and it seems the files are huge? Also how do I go about procuring a dongle? Any help would be appreciated! Cheers

payo15, proud to be a member of GarageForum since Oct 2020.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-15-2020, 06:10 PM
RE: New to ODis so I need some advice
Anyone?
I found a seller from China that seems to have a decent product. What is the difference between the wifi version and bluetooth? If I'm not connected to the wifi then it won't work. So I would need to use the bluetooth version for on the fly diagnostic?

Can the ODis allow me to view measuring blocks and do adaptations safely? I wanted to do some output tests but that is impossible with vagcom since my car is UDS protocol so I'm limited to just using the preset advanced measuring values which even then they are limited.

Can anyone help I'm confused.

10-15-2020, 08:10 PM (This post was last modified: 10-15-2020 08:11 PM by gargamel.)
I will try to give you some basic tips since I do not use this type of software and I do not have a VCI to do tests and captures.

This is the official software of the VAG group in its versions S for diagnosis and E for engineering for advanced functions of programming, reprogramming and various modifications.

To safely use this type of software you need a high quality interface, especially if you are going to use the engineering variant.

In the Chinese market there are several qualities and the price is not always indicative that the interface to be sold is of high quality, I would choose if you are serious or will work with this software by locating an original second-hand VAS5054A.

If you are out of budget, a reworked HQ clone is the option to consider and forget about the 6154 clones that are VXDiag reincarnated and very limited in their functionality.

:-)

(10-15-2020 06:10 PM)payo15 Wrote:  Anyone?
I found a seller from China that seems to have a decent product. What is the difference between the wifi version and bluetooth? If I'm not connected to the wifi then it won't work. So I would need to use the bluetooth version for on the fly diagnostic?

Can the ODis allow me to view measuring blocks and do adaptations safely? I wanted to do some output tests but that is impossible with vagcom since my car is UDS protocol so I'm limited to just using the preset advanced measuring values which even then they are limited.

Can anyone help I'm confused.

Do not forget to press the Rep [Image: postbit_reputation.gif] and Thanks [Image: postbit_thx.gif] buttons if I helped.
 Thanks given by: darkshado87 , payo15
10-16-2020, 06:42 PM (This post was last modified: 10-16-2020 06:52 PM by payo15.)
(10-15-2020 08:10 PM)gargamel Wrote:  I will try to give you some basic tips since I do not use this type of software and I do not have a VCI to do tests and captures.

This is the official software of the VAG group in its versions S for diagnosis and E for engineering for advanced functions of programming, reprogramming and various modifications.

To safely use this type of software you need a high quality interface, especially if you are going to use the engineering variant.

In the Chinese market there are several qualities and the price is not always indicative that the interface to be sold is of high quality, I would choose if you are serious or will work with this software by locating an original second-hand VAS5054A.

If you are out of budget, a reworked HQ clone is the option to consider and forget about the 6154 clones that are VXDiag reincarnated and very limited in their functionality.

:-)

Gargamel, thank you for replying. This is a start for me. Yes, the option that I have to take is the clone route.

I did see the VX dongle and noticed the software was not the odis so that is out of the picture. I did see the clones for 5054 and 6154 and have decided on the latter with the OKI chip...whatever that is. I know that this version seems to work off wifi-direct if I'm not mistaken.

One thing I was wondering is it appears that some work with win 7 and or 10, is it imperative to the operation of the Odis software to be connected online to use it? Will I be able to update it?

Is there anything else that you suggest I look for?

Also, what is the difference with the engineering variant?

10-16-2020, 08:51 PM
@Gargamel, are these clones usable for the updated software like 5.2.7?

10-18-2020, 06:08 PM
They have stopped support for the vas 5054 on newer releases, better to get a vas 6154

Crouchingllama, proud to be a member of GarageForum since Jul 2020.
 Thanks given by: payo15
10-18-2020, 10:22 PM
(10-18-2020 06:08 PM)Crouchingllama Wrote:  They have stopped support for the vas 5054 on newer releases, better to get a vas 6154
Thanks for the advice. I was thinking that it would be better. From my understanding is that 6154 works with win 7 AND 10 yes?

I still am wondering if it will be able to work with update software online. I still don't understand the technology and the work arounds. I just realized/found out that that ODIS is a off-board diagnosis tool. I am going to be in for some learning since this is totally foreign from what I'm used to with vcds. Hence why I'm here since it's now pretty obsolete with my UDS vehicle.

Can the chinese clone work with the legit odis software?

10-18-2020, 10:47 PM (This post was last modified: 10-18-2020 10:48 PM by gargamel.)
They have indeed tried to remove access from the VAS5054As, but more skilled minds than theirs have managed to get them to not only run on the latest versions without problems, but have also added W10 support along the way.
The Vas6154 is a scam since it works by emulating the VAS5054A which already indicates that it is not a trustworthy interface, at least for the engineering part.
Honestly and as this world is going, the investment of an HQ clone of the VAS5054A is more than justified since I doubt any vehicle in the 2 years warranty will go outside the official workshop and the versions that right now support this interface will cover the needs of a workshop in the next minimum 3 years with the latest models of the current 2020 and beyond with the oldest that in the market are a multitude.

Also I doubt that it will not continue to be a valid interface in future versions as long as they do not change the VCI and do not rewrite all the software and protocols ... and still sure that someone will patch the software and modify the hardware ...

And yes , a chinesse HQ must works fine , an EU reworked clone works better and of course a second hand original do the best job ... from a reputated seller of course ...

The Oki chip is only needed on a few percentage of occasions, but it is an interface that will have been built with better components, as well as the amb2300 I think I remember if it is original it provides better stability in communications although there is a lot of falsification.

.-)

(10-18-2020 10:22 PM)payo15 Wrote:  
(10-18-2020 06:08 PM)Crouchingllama Wrote:  They have stopped support for the vas 5054 on newer releases, better to get a vas 6154
Thanks for the advice. I was thinking that it would be better. From my understanding is that 6154 works with win 7 AND 10 yes?

I still am wondering if it will be able to work with update software online. I still don't understand the technology and the work arounds. I just realized/found out that that ODIS is a off-board diagnosis tool. I am going to be in for some learning since this is totally foreign from what I'm used to with vcds. Hence why I'm here since it's now pretty obsolete with my UDS vehicle.

Can the chinese clone work with the legit odis software?

Do not forget to press the Rep [Image: postbit_reputation.gif] and Thanks [Image: postbit_thx.gif] buttons if I helped.
10-19-2020, 12:14 AM
Okay, so now I"m a bit confused. So I should be getting the 5054A instead?...

10-19-2020, 10:29 AM
In my opinion yes , maybe in a few years must be reconsidered , but today I think its a good option .... A HQ clone of course , crap will be crap always ....

.-)

(10-19-2020 12:14 AM)payo15 Wrote:  Okay, so now I"m a bit confused. So I should be getting the 5054A instead?...